The electromagnetic waves (EM waves) are transverse in nature. The changes in the electric field or the magnetic field represent the wave disturbance in the EM waves. EM waves are the waves which have the ability to travel through the vacuum of the outer space. They are created due to the vibration of an electrical charge.
These are the waves that get propagated due to the simultaneous variations of the electric and magnetic field intensity. These include radio waves, visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, gamma rays.
They move at a very constant speed of 3×108 m/s. They are also known as electromagnetic light, EM radiation or photons.
USES FOR EM WAVES
- They are used to transmit short or long or FM wavelength radio waves.
- They are used to transmit TV or telephone or wireless signals and energies.
- They are responsible for the transmission of energy in the forms of microwaves, visible light, infrared radiation, ultraviolet light, gamma rays and also X-rays.
APPLICATIONS FOR ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES
- EM waves accomplish the transmission of energy through a vacuum or using no medium.
- Since electromagnetic waves transmit energy, it plays an important role in our daily lives including the communication technology.
- Electromagnetic radiation is the foundation for working of radar which in turn is used for guiding and remote sensing the study of our planet Earth.
- Ultraviolet rays are germicidal in nature and destroy bacteria, viruses and moulds from various surfaces, air or water.
- UV rays are also used to detect the forged bank notes. Real bank notes don’t turn fluorescent under the UV light.
- UV rays have also sanitary and therapeutic properties.
- X-rays detect the bone breaks by passing through the flesh and capturing the image.
- Gamma rays can cause and also treat cancers. High doses of gamma rays kill the normal cells causing cancer while proper amount can kill mutated cells.
- Infrared radiation is used for night vision and comes handy for security cameras.
- Infrared radiation is visible at all times thus is used by officials to capture enemy.
PROPERTIES OF ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES
- The EM energy is clean. We are not degrading the environment or destroying it to derive the raw material.
- It is also renewable.
- It is versatile in nature.
- The frequency, wavelength and the speed of light follow a relationship of:
Wavelength* frequency= speed of light