Even though nanotechnology has been instrumental in helping the medical science, technological sector, industry and production sector etc to improve, there have been various challenges posed by the use of nanotechnology itself.
The researchers are now interested in understanding the interaction of nanomaterials at the atomic level with the biological systems. Nanomaterials consist of varied characteristics in comparison to bigger particles.
Environmental exposure to nanomaterials cannot be avoided since nanomaterials have incorporated themselves into our daily lives. Nanotoxicity is slowly becoming the issue of the hour. Presently, nanotechnology is focussing on use in energy production, space exploration, medicinal field and in protecting the environment.
CHALLENGES POSED BY NANOMATERIALS AND NANO DESIGNS
Nanotechnology has helped in creating fully functional materials, systems and devices that can be controlled at the molecular level. Nanotechnology has been used for greater sensitivity, better sensor designing and lower power requirements. The exposed population to the use of nanomaterials and nano designs is increasing with every passing day.
This gives rise to the challenges posed by the use of nanotechnology.
- One of the biggest issues that arise with the use of nanotechnology is the impact on the environment and the toxicity to the humans. The different properties of nanomaterials might lead to adverse biological effects and cause toxicity in the humans.
- In the cellular environment, the nanoparticles undergo their biodegradation. This might lead to intracellular changes and gene alterations. The unfavourable or undesirable gene alterations might prove to be hazardous for human life.
- Nanomaterials are not very environmentally safe. They might enter the ecosystem’s food chain and bring changes.
- There are some safety issues related to the use of nano designs and nanomaterials. For example, nanobots are used to enter the human body and target harmful microorganisms. But, what would happen if there is some programming error and the nanobot attaches itself to the wrong microorganism and alters it?
- There is a lot of money involved in the use of nanotechnology. There is funding problem. A huge investment is needed in order to make more nanomaterials and nanodevices. Their use is also costly and not everyone can afford it.
To understand the toxicity of the nanomaterials and nano designs, a more thorough research work is needed. The interactions between the biological system and nanomaterials are complex. There needs to be proper research done before the nanotechnology gets incorporated completely into human life.