Science Articles

WHAT IS DARK ENERGY? WHAT DO WE REALLY KNOW ABOUT THE UNIVERSE WE LIVE IN?

Dark energy is used to explain the accelerating and expanding rate of the universe


Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/steml1og/public_html/justscience.in/wp-includes/media.php on line 1206
WHAT IS DARK ENERGY? WHAT DO WE REALLY KNOW ABOUT THE UNIVERSE WE LIVE IN?

In this universe, dark matter comprises of 26.8% while dark energy comprises of 68.3% making it a sum total of 95.1% of data. This is the amount of content that we do not know about. Even though nothing is known about dark energy, it is known to be a form of energy which spreads through entire space and boosts up the speed of expansion of the universe.

The Big Bang theory is the most widely used theory regarding the origin of the universe. Dark energy is used to explain the accelerating and expanding rate of the universe. The density of the dark energy is extremely low yet it is found uniformly distributed across space.

DARK ENERGY AND THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE

The presence of dark matter and dark energy poses another question, yet to be solved- what is the fate of the universe? Scientists have already examined that the universe is expanding but the question remains whether the expansion is flat (would expand until it reaches equilibrium), open (would continue expanding) or closed (will expand until it collapses).

The problem isn’t that the universe is expanding; the main problem arises when the rate of expansion keeps on increasing. The galaxy moves away at a faster rate every day. This anti-gravity force is termed as dark energy since it acts against gravity and pulls the galaxies far away from each other.

On examining dark energy, the scientists can understand more about the formation of the solar system and the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. The dark energy is considered to be homogeneous, not very dense and acts against gravity.

WHAT DO WE REALLY KNOW ABOUT OUR UNIVERSE

The fact that there is only 4.9% of ordinary content in our universe that we know about, is puzzling.

  • The universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. On analysing distant supernova, this fact was established. This also gives proof about the presence of dark energy.
  • It is also known there are more than two trillion galaxies in the universe. This was established after the Hubble Space Telescope was pointed at one of the darkest patches of the sky for days and the data indicated the presence of several other galaxies.