Data security refers to the measures adopted to prevent the unauthorized access to databases, computers, and websites. The Internet can be a dangerous thing if your data is not well protected. Online predators or hackers could take advantage of a weak firewall system or any other such loophole and cause damage to your organization’s confidential data or corrupt important files. One breach and your entire business could crumble down, which is why data security is an integral part of the IT department of every organization, big or small.
Benefits of Data Security
- Prevents Data Breaches: Data security helps to prevent the data from going into the wrong hands and being used for illegal reasons. Additionally, data security also prevents leakage of highly confidential and sensitive information, thereby avoiding loss of finances, goodwill, and business reputation.
- Privacy Protection: While some information may be critical to the functioning of the company, others are not that important. Companies should be aware of the location of their most sensitive data so they can allocate the right resources for the protection of their most crucial assets. A data compromise can lead to an immense monetary loss as well as the failed trust of the clients. Data security systems ensure the protection of privacy of such data.
- Ensures Confidentiality and Integrity: Data security technology prevents the unauthorized modifications of the data by allowing access as per need to know basis only. Data structures, configuration files, etc. can only be accessed by the top officials who are authorized and no one else.
- Reduced Costs of Development: Introducing data security into your system well in advance helps to bring down the cost of development as well as the maintenance time later on. It is better to add the necessary security features into your system than wait for an incident to happen that forces you to think about adding security and cost you much more time as well as revenue.
Measures To Enhance Data Security
Here are some recommendations and tips using which you can enhance your organization’s data security:
- Strong Passwords: The first and foremost measure is to implement strong passwords to strengthen your security. Make use of a combination of lower-case, upper-case letters, symbols as well as numbers to make your password stronger and up to 8 to 12 characters long. Make sure you reset your password frequently. Every employee login should have a separate password and there should be no common passwords for login.
- Strong Firewall: Firewalls protect your network by screening every piece of information before it exits or enters your computer. It is a must to control your internet traffic and block out any malicious links from causing any damage to your computer. Thus it aids you in fighting unwanted threats to your files.
- Antivirus Protection: Anti-malware software is an absolute necessity in the arsenal of your data security weapons. You must opt for the strongest antivirus protection software as it protects your data from being corrupted by viruses like Trojan that infect the whole system. A good anti-virus program also prevents you while you surf the Internet and alerts you against any corrupt links that you shouldn’t open.
- Regular Data Backup: It is very crucial to back up your data frequently without fail. You should store it in a safe place where it cannot be violated. If possible, you should keep your backup in more than one location to double your protection. One of the best ways to back up your data is in the cloud. So even if your data gets lost, over the cloud, it is easily retrievable. Servers should have a complete backup weekly whereas incremental backups can also be taken depending on the volume of the data.
- Disk Encryption: Using this technology, data on a hard disk drive can be encrypted such that it can only be deciphered by anyone who is authorized. For someone who is not authorized, the data would not be in a readable or accessible format. Data encryption changes the appearance of the text on the hard drive such that it makes no sense without a password to decrypt it. Such encryption can be done on software as well as hardware.
- Secure Your Laptops / Mobiles: Because of their portable nature, laptops, as well as mobile devices, stand at a very high risk of being stolen. Hence it is imperative that there are encryption software, strong passwords and antivirus installed on your devices. In addition to this, there is also a feature of remote wiping which enables the data to be remotely erased or completely wiped out from your device in case it gets stolen and you bring it to the attention of your IT department.
Thus, clearly, it is better to invest in a strong data security system that can prevent any malware attacks or security breaches and maintain the confidentiality of your data.