Meteorites have a vital role to play in gaining knowledge about our universe. An essential hint about the origin of our solar system come from the meteorites. Out of the examined varieties, some of the meteorites were found to be older than the planet Earth itself. Meteorites give a clear indication of how the planets were formed, how the small objects clubbed together to form planets and how the development of the universe took place.
Even though meteorites look like a blazing fireballs heading towards the Earth, meteorites are a vital source of information about our universe. Meteorites come from various sources like Moon, Mars and other planets.
THE IMPORTANCE OF METEORITES IN INFORMING ABOUT UNIVERSE
- Meteorites tell us about the composition and age of the solar system.Scientists analyse the meteorites and check their composition along with various other elements to check for information about our solar system. By examining the composition and isotopes of the meteorites, scientists get to know about the chemical composition of the solar system. It also reveals the chronological order of the formation of varied components in the universe – the parent body of meteorites and the solar system.
- Meteorites also reveal about stellar evolution.Stardust is the grains of dust produced by the stars even before our solar system was formed. Some meteorites contain traces of stardust in them. On analysing them, scientists can get a deeper insight into the evolution of our universe and the process of star formation.
- Meteorites indicate the evolution of the solar system.
By examining meteorites in laboratories, the earliest prevailing conditions in our solar system can be known. It also leads to a better understanding of how the planets formed.
- Meteorites hint about the geological history of Moon and Earth.Scientists presume that large impacts of the meteorites have shaped up the face of various planets with time. Whether it is the surface of Earth or the Moon, meteorites are said to have impacted it.
- Meteorites are said to have brought life to the Earth.Organic compounds like complex amino acids, formic acids, carboxylic acids, acetic acid, aliphatic acid etc are said to have been brought to the Earth through meteorites. A large meteor impact is said to have made the dinosaurs extinct, which is why scientists that another major impact would influence the life on Earth.