Virtual reality is a technology that gives rise to a virtual environment. The senses are tricked into believing that whatever is happening is real. It manipulates cognition and perception of a person and makes them believe things.
With Sony’s PlayStation VR and HTC’s Hive on the way, along with Oculus Rift and Google’s cardboard headsets out in the market, there has been a lot of effort put into the field of developing virtual reality tools. Virtual reality tools have become a wishlist item on every child’s list along with adults. However, there are various virtual reality devices that come along with several age restrictions.
WHY THERE SHOULD BE AGE RESTRICTION ON VR EQUIPMENT?
According to various studies, the long-term use of virtual reality equipment can hamper vision and cause slow neurological development. For kids, it can lead to slow development of the brain, causes balance issues owing to computer induces reality, and hamper the safety. By using a virtual reality gadget, the user gets transported to another computer-induced reality where the line between real and reel blurs. For a kid, all this is too much to intake.
Kids need proper supervision while using virtual reality equipment. Some VR gadgets come with age restrictions and warning for the need of parental guidance. This ensures the safety of the child who might get hurt by walking during one of the induced experiences.
This also makes sure that a child doesn’t play games which can traumatise him. Even the adults can get scared during a game (owing to realistic feel) and get terrorised. For the young users, it becomes imperative that there are an adult supervision and age restriction.
THE REASONS FOR LIMIT ON VIRTUAL REALITY
When it comes to any new technology, it faces various hurdles and challenges before being widely accepted. When it comes to virtual reality, it faces several challenges like privacy, safety, health and technical issues.
- VR addiction
Excess of everything is bad, whether the thing is good or bad. Virtual reality addiction is potentially alarming. The blurring of boundaries between real, augmented and virtual reality might lead to people losing out on their own selves. Their real life might suffer adversely owing to this. For instance, with the advent of Pokemon Go games, cases of people walking into traffic, getting mugged, abandoning their house for chasing Pokemon came into notice. It is important to maintain self-control while playing the game.
- Desensitisation of the person
Since virtual reality prepares you for the worst through violent games or exercises in military training sessions, scientists believe that excessive use of virtual reality might desensitise a user. Traumatic content seen in cinema has a larger effect when seen in VR. The user would no longer be affected by extreme erratic behaviours and lose empathy. When it comes to children, they already go through psychological development, which can be hampered by the use of excessive VR tools.
- Eyesight problems along with isolation
With a few inches of distance between the screen and user’s eyes, virtual reality can cause eye fatigue and hamper eye vision. Excessive use of virtual reality can also lead to withdrawal symptoms where the individual loses track of reality. It can lead to the disorientation of the user in a virtual environment and cause nausea.
WHY VIRTUAL REALITY SHOULD BE RESEARCHED UPON
Virtual reality is practically the future of technology. With the computer-induced reality, it has the power to take one to places. With more research on this technology, it can even take the user to Mars without any effort. Virtual reality technology is used for mass surveillance. There is so much more that virtual reality technology could do if there are no restrictions imposed upon it.
- Virtual reality helps in clinical therapy and successful surgery training. Anxiety disorders like phobias and post-traumatic stress disorder can be treated by using virtual reality exposure therapy. It can also be used to distract the patient while their pain is being managed.
- Virtual reality can easily help the learners to hone their skills in a virtual environment before trying it out in the real world. This helps them is dealing with struggles effectively.
- Virtual reality helps the military soldiers to get their training before entering the actual battlefield.
- VR helps the engineers to see their design from different angles in order to finalise the product. They can test their structure’s resistance towards rain, winds and other natural elements.
- VR helps the people to experience concerts without attending them.
- Virtual reality can do a lot when it comes to marketing. It can be used for increasing sales without spending a ton of money. By giving a 360 tour of their product, the customers can be attracted.
- Virtual reality makes learning more effective and fun. It changes the way a person looks at the world. It can induce field trips to space without even going anywhere.
Virtual reality is a huge platform and it should be researched more. There should be no limits posed to the development of the technology simply because of some shortcomings. With extensive research, the shortcomings will be resolved too.