Atlanta has taken the initiative to install new traffic signal technology in order to facilitate traffic movement. With the unveiling of the new smart road in Atlanta, the city’s infrastructure of transportation has changed. In the new age of automated cars, this initiative has helped in cutting down the traffic problem.
THE NEW TECHNOLOGY
The project is titled “The North Avenue Smart Corridor Project” and it involves the use of high-definition cameras, adaptive traffic signals along with other technology that can ensure more safety of the passengers on the road and can control speed traffic on the busiest of the street. The cost of the project is somewhere around $3 million.
The project stretches at 2.3 mile stretch from Georgia Tech and headquarters of Coca-Cola to the Ponce City Market. Even though there are various legal formalities and technological hurdles that need to be solved before automated cars can be used on the North Avenue, the street has already become a model street for the Atlanta across the nation. The main aim of the project is to renew the traffic system in Atlanta and help in saving time, lives and resources.
THE USE OF THE TECHNOLOGICAL INSTRUMENTS
There are different roles to be played when it comes to technological instruments that have been installed.
- The high-definition video surveillance cameras are installed for monitoring the vehicles along with the pedestrians. The cameras have the ability to make the traffic signal hold for a little while longer. This would allow the pedestrian to cross the road before the signal can turn green.
- The adaptive traffic signals can make real-time adjustments by monitoring the flow of traffic. The lights can be adjusted automatically as per the requirement so that there is a smoother flow of vehicles across the street.
- One system installed has the power to help emergency vehicles in speeding through the intersection regardless of the traffic signals. This is done to help in providing faster medical aid.
- The new connected vehicle systems technology has the power to communicate with the automated driverless vehicles through traffic signals. The drivers can even get a message on their smartphones to slow down as they reach near an intersection. Alert messages help in slow speed zones.
- The new lights are built in accordance with the cameras and metal detectors for detecting traffic. They can be programmed remotely and save lives.
The North Avenue project in Atlanta is just one segment where the traffic has been modified to adapt to new technology.