There have been various science articles that have been posted throughout 2017. The online portals and magazines, brimming with new and fresh science articles have managed to showcase the wonders of how our world is evolving. The changing times have been captured in the science articles with utmost sincerity for making an individual aware of what is happening around him/her. From flying robots, brainwave-reading headsets, levitating superconductors, artificial intelligence to nanotechnology, science articles have covered it all.
Science articles are extremely helpful in documenting the news for later use. Science articles basically act as a library for future reference. Since science articles can be easily browsed online, there is no need to further save the data. The science articles have been educative, informative, and eye-opening. Various online portals have managed to capture the video of the events and included them in the science articles. The entries were informative yet interesting.
The year 2017 was a difficult one for the scientists. But it managed to cover up new methods of cancer treatment, along with various other scientific discoveries. Since it is a wrap for 2017, below are some of the most read science articles in 2017. These are the science articles that helped in shaping the world.
- In January, Donald Trump became the President of United States and created several setbacks for science. He even banned seven Muslim countries from gaining entrance to the United States for a period of ninety days on 27th January. This made people fear taking up jobs in US institutions. In the medical front, January help in creating foetuses made from human and pig cells that could be used for growing artificial organs in animals for future human usage.
- In March, President Donald Trump cut down the 2018 funding budget. Various scientific budget cuts and decisions made scientists come out on roads for protesting against the decisions.
- In May, the inauguration of Synchrotron-light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East took place. SESAME is used for investigating the archaeological artefacts and properties of materials.
- A new height was reached when quantum communications were used. 15th June marked the day when Chinese researchers used Micius satellite for shooting a pair of photons to more than 1200 kilometres. This becomes a real-life feat by breaking all records and giving rise to the possibility of quantum teleportation.
- In August, CRISPR or Cas9 gene editing system was used for repairing a mutation in human embryos that resulted in disease. The study explored the technique and demonstrated the safety of the technique along with evidence. There had been no unwanted mutations. In September, other researchers used this technique for fixing of a gene in human embryos that caused blood disease.
- In September, NASA’s Cassini spacecraft completed its final voyage. It burned up in Saturn’s atmosphere after exploring it for thirteen years.
- The scientists discovered the way of studying celestial phenomena through the use of emitted radiation and ripples created in space-time. 16th October, the researchers could finally observe two neutron stars colliding with the gamma-ray bursts. Ripples of the collision could be observed as gravitational waves. Virgo and Gravitational Wave Observatory helped in making this possible.
- A new type of cancer treatment called CAR-T cell therapy was discovered. This breakthrough process uses the immune cells inside the patient and engineers them in such a way that they target the tumour cells. Even though various safety concerns arose regarding this, US FDA approved it.
- A trip to Mars was planned by NASA and SpaceX. NASA is waiting for the development of technology to be used for making a two-way trip to and from Mars.
- Nanotechnology was further explored and used for making new inventions. Smart pill is one of the finest examples of the use of nanotechnology in modern times.
- Artificial intelligence got more advanced. Automated cars became operational. Brain implants were used on exoskeletons which help in moving the prosthetic limbs on the whim of the patient. Assistive help became more advanced which helped in giving a sense of normalcy to the disabled.
- On 18th December, evidence of earliest life on Earth was discovered by the scientists- 3.45 billion-year-old rock from Australia showed traces of containing microorganisms.
- The major science articles in 2017 dealt with climate change- and why is it happening. There have been various reasons cited and various predicted dates for the temperature to rise further. But collectively, people have realised the need for reducing the emission of carbon in the atmosphere.
- On the scientific front, the European Union scientists who have already been living in the United Kingdom became relieved since they can easily stay there. The uncertainty regarding UK’s contribution in Horizon 2020 was also resolved. In December, it was made certain that the United Kingdom will continue participation in the European Union’s program- Horizon 2020.
- Certain eradicated diseases like cholera, smallpox etc have made a comeback.
With the scientific field developing with every passing day, it is sure that 2018 is going to be just as eventful, if not more when it comes to breaking news and science articles. Science articles found online have always managed to keep individuals updated with the latest scientific trends, inventions, stories, discoveries, myths, etc. With the advent in the year 2018, major scientific developments are expected to happen.
Some of the biggest science and environment stories coming up in 2018 are-
- There has been news circulating that there will be more regulations put on science-based environmental research under Donald Trump’s reign. The political change is overpowering the need for scientific development. After the United Kingdom has left the European Union, there have been questions related to funding for the research work and migration of the scientists.
- In the realm of Astronomy, the astronomers are expecting to get a clearer look at the supermassive black hole which is in the middle of our galaxy. Event Horizon Telescope is used for capturing a high-resolution image of the black hole. The mass of the black hole is said to be more than 4 million times than o the sun. However, the volume is said to be extremely small. The telescope combines forces from six radio observatories in order to process such huge information.
- In the realm of Origin of Life, new DNA evidence is found which can help in shedding more light on human ancestors. The cave sediments have provided for some DNA traces which can be further used for tracing down the Neanderthal, Denisovan and modern human DNA right down to the ancestors. Colder climates have provided for the majority of ancient DNA but the modern sampling techniques have improved to capture more DNA from warmer areas.
- In the realm of Nature, some large-scale epidemics are expected which would cause massive deaths (if not prevented before time). The return of the eradicated diseases has shown how the vaccination and sanitation system is breaking down, causing breakdown of the health system. The vaccines are limited while the new diseases are emerging every year. In Yemen, the cholera outbreak in 2017 has to be the biggest one in the modern world with reported 1 million suspected cases.
- In the realm of Computer, quantum computing has taken over the arena. Scientists are expecting to use quantum waves for performing calculations.
- In the realm of Biomedicine, the United States National Institutes of Health will launch the massive study involving 1 million Americans for exploration of genes, lifestyles, health and environment. The study is a 10-year long project which would involve the participants to share their medical history and genetic data with the researchers.
- In the realm of Biotechnology, the European Union’s Court of Justice is expected to give a verdict on regulating crops made by using gene editing tools like CRISPR.
- Scientists are trying to use RNA molecules in form of therapies for fighting diseases. Scientists are working on developing drugs based on RN which can help in hindering cellular process that converts DNA information into proteins.
- There have been a few variety of antiretroviral drugs introduced to the market for treatment of HIV (Human immune deficiency virus). The ARV or antiretroviral drugs come with certain combinations which give a hope of prolonging the patient’s life.
- A trip back to the Moon is scheduled.
- Various stem cell therapies are hoping to get free from regulations and restrictions imposed on them for becoming useful.
It’s already 2018 so look out for science articles on any of these topics. These science articles are expected to cause more ripples in the field of science. In 2017, with new technological advancements, science articles mainly dealt with topics related to nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, biomedical advancements, climate chance, a mission to Mars, inhabiting other planets, human ancestry etc. In 2018, the scientists hope that the science articles would revolve mainly around competition of the missions and goals set for 2018 in 2017. Scientists are hoping to find more answers regarding the starting of it all.