Space exploration is extremely vital because our knowledge of the solar system is because of the various space exploration projects were taken up by NASA. If NASA stops working, then there would be no more new discoveries, no people going into space and no exploration of any sorts. Space exploration helps individuals in unexpected ways which are important for the world to become more advanced.
SCIENTIFIC BREAKTHROUGHS THROUGH SPACE PROGRAMS
Since the time NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) was formed in 1958, it has been working on discovering new things in the galaxy. According to the Space Act, NASA’s findings should cater to public health.
Here are some of the scientific breakthroughs through space programs amongst many-
- Long distance communication has been possible because of over 200 satellites moving in the Earth’s orbit every day. The telecommunications is possible only because of the NASA satellites.
- The technology of artificial limbs came around only because of the advanced nature of artificial muscle system in NASA’s space robotic activities.
- Smoke detectors have been helping in setting off fire alarms at the hint of a smoke, saving lives from any fire outbreak. NASA is responsible for inventing smoke detector for warning the astronauts against fire or dangerous gases.
- NASA collaborated with Dr George Moon, Dr Michael DeBakey along with MicroMed Technology for inventing a heart pump for medical patients. Ventricular Assist Device helps in pumping blood until the heart donor is found.
- In space, the scientists required their equipment to be clean and protect them against dirt. Hence, they invented specialised plastic coating. This specialised plastic coating soon became commercial and is used in making surfaces resistant to scratches.
- Cordless tools are hassle-free and easy to manage. NASA invented the cordless drilling machine for collecting Moon’s soil and rock samples. After their invention of the battery operated drill, several other cordless instruments came into existence.
- For measuring star’s temperature, NASA used infrared technology. Based on this technology, the infrared ear thermometer was invented which can measure the body’s temperature.
- The NASA Structural Analysis Program is one computer program widely used by software engineers for designing structures.
- NASA invented detectors that could help in detecting pH level for preventing damage. The same kind of sensors is now being used by Governments for detection of possible threats and chemical warfare agents.
- Firefighting equipment is also developed by NASA owing to a need arising in space.
The knowledge of space isn’t limited. We are slowly discovering the full possibilities of space exploration. Every time NASA ventures out on a space exploration program, we get new inventions that bring about a new revolution.